from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Pleasing to the senses or mind, as by being beautiful.
- adjective Interesting because of the likelihood of being advantageous or profitable.
- adjective Having the power to attract.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Having the power or faculty of drawing in, to, or toward by mechanical agency or action.
- Having the quality of attracting by inherent force; causing to gravitate to or toward: as, the attractive force of bodies.
- Having the power of charming or alluring by agreeable qualities; inviting; engaging; enticing.
- noun That which draws or incites; allurement; charm.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Having the power or quality of attracting or drawing.
- adjective Attracting or drawing by moral influence or pleasurable emotion; alluring; inviting; pleasing.
- noun That which attracts or draws; an attraction; an allurement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Causing
attraction; having the quality of attractingby inherent force.
- adjective Having the power of
charmingor alluringby agreeablequalities; enticing.
Pleasingor appealingto the senses.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective having the properties of a magnet; the ability to draw or pull
- adjective having power to arouse interest
- adjective pleasing to the eye or mind especially through beauty or charm
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
So, they were asked to evaluate the candidates based on nothing else except their appearance, and the more attractive candidates were deemed... wait for it.... *more attractive*!
"We'll miss both hopeful rallies and despairing selloffs," said Mr. Arbess, who said he has assumed a "neutral" position, despite what he calls "attractive" stock and bond opportunities.
The advertising community found this term attractive for two reasons, one explicit and one subconscious.
Google earns what it describes as attractive returns on its investments by capturing local and federal renewable energy tax credits and charging interest on the money it supplies for the projects.
The Navy said the low take up had nothing to do with the packages on offer which it described as 'attractive'.
I mean, biologically it would seem, we are wired to be drawn to what we call attractive women.
If being more conventionally attractive is a motivating factor, that's fine.
Geez, thinking that women who are not porcelain white can be attractive is so PC, geez.
"The accusation that the beauty of movie stars makes the anti-social acts of their characters dangerously attractive is the kind of contrived argument we get from people who are bothered by something and clutching at straws."
"What we see as attractive is a byproduct of not only our biological wiring, but is also influenced by socio-cultural factors," says David Sarwerof the Center for Human Appearance at the University of Pennsylvania.