from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having a smooth, shiny, lustrous surface: glossy satin. See Synonyms at sleek.
- adj. Superficially and often speciously attractive; showy: glossy trendsetters.
- n. A photographic print on smooth, shiny paper.
- n. Chiefly British A popular magazine printed on smooth-coated stock.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having a smooth, silklike, reflective surface.
- n. a glossy magazine
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Smooth and shining; reflecting luster from a smooth surface; highly polished; lustrous
- adj. Smooth; specious; plausible.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Possessing a gloss; smooth and shining; reflecting luster from a smooth or polished surface.
- Having a fair or specious appearance; plausible.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. reflecting light
- n. a magazine printed on good quality paper
- adj. (of paper and fabric and leather) having a surface made smooth and glossy especially by pressing between rollers
- n. a photograph that is printed on smooth shiny paper
- adj. superficially attractive and stylish; suggesting wealth or expense
The special feature with the glossy is a perfume vials on each page.
In a country where advertising in glossy magazines seems years away, and a swimsuit competition as unlikely as lasting peace, Khalwat is no more than a brave, awkward woman celebrating some distant ideal of beauty.
I very much enjoyed the first two books by Douglas Kennedy, which were nail-biting Grisham-esque thrillers set in that sort of Madison Avenue, big business world that seems so glossy from the outside.
I just mean 'sewing' here, not "la haute couture" displayed in glossy fashion magazines!
He was featured in glossy magazines, and his clothing was torn at by enthusiastic female fans whenever he made public appearances.
These posters can be seen in glossy format, matt look and some of the posters will feature a cartoon type of look.
Mind you, maybe I received any need for appreciation from the non-fiction I had published during that time - which varied from scientific papers to articles in glossy magazines.
This new hardcover book is quite spiffy, with virtually all of the previously black-and-white photographs and artwork now in glossy full color — much improved over the slightly muddy reproduction of the color sections in the original book.
On the environmental front, some individual companies have been active, often producing large quantities of material, on the web and in glossy brochures, setting out very real initiatives which are reducing the carbon impact of their business.
I thought I was the only person who lusted after (unobtainable) furniture in glossy mags and described it in such terms.