from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The forcible tearing away of a body part by trauma or surgery.
- noun The sudden movement of soil from one property to another as a result of a flood or a shift in the course of a boundary stream.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A pulling or tearing asunder or off; a rending or violent separation.
- noun A fragment torn off.
- noun In law, the sudden removal of soil from the land of one man and its deposit upon the land of another by the action of water.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun A tearing asunder; a forcible separation.
- noun A fragment torn off.
- noun (Law) The sudden removal of lands or soil from the estate of one man to that of another by an inundation or a current, or by a sudden change in the course of a river by which a part of the estate of one man is cut off and joined to the estate of another. The property in the part thus separated, or cut off, continues in the original owner.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The
lossor separationof a bodypart, either by surgeryor due to trauma
- noun An abrupt change in the
courseof a river, typically from one channelto another
- noun hydrology Movement of
soilduring a flood, or during a change in the courseof a river, especially when a resulting change of land ownershipis involved
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun an abrupt change in the course of a stream that forms the boundary between two parcels of land resulting in the loss of part of the land of one landowner and a consequent increase in the land of another
- noun a forcible tearing or surgical separation of one body part from another
Sorry, no etymologies found.
SS Nomar Garciaparra (left groin avulsion of the adductor longus muscle -- a ruptured tendon) is on the 60-day
At least three patients for whom Dr. Sherman allegedly billed for toenail removal, called avulsion, said they only received foot soakings and, in some cases, nail trimmings, according to a person familiar with the case.
Vikings coach Brad Childress said Monday an MRI on Favre's foot revealed the fracture and an "avulsion" fracture in the calcaneus, which is the heel bone.
In the severest forms of scalp-injuries, such as avulsion of the scalp from the entangling of the hair in machinery, skin-grafting or replantation is of particular value.
Vikings coach Brad Childress said Monday an MRI on Favre's foot revealed the stress fracture as well as an "avulsion" fracture in the heel bone.
Favre was hurt in Sunday's loss to Green Bay, and an MRI revealed a stress fracture in the ankle as well as an "avulsion" fracture in the heel bone, where a fragment has been torn away by a tendon or ligament.
Favre, 41, suffered a stress fracture in his left ankle and an "avulsion" fracture in his left heel bone in the Vikings'
Childress said Monday the MRI revealed a fracture and an "avulsion" fracture in the calcaneus, which is the heel bone.
Vikings coach Brad Childress said Monday that an MRI revealed the ankle fracture as well as an "avulsion" fracture in Favre's heel bone.
Coach Brad Childress said an MRI exam revealed the stress fracture as well as an "avulsion" fracture in the heel bone.