from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A leather-covered bludgeon with a short, flexible shaft or strap, used as a hand weapon.
- noun Games A card game in which the object is to accumulate cards with a higher count than that of the dealer but not exceeding 21.
- noun Sphalerite.
- transitive verb To hit or beat with a blackjack.
- transitive verb To coerce by threats.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun card games A common
gambling card gamein casinos, where the object is to get as close to 21 without going over.
- noun card games A hand in the game of blackjack consisting of a
face cardand an ace.
- noun The
flag(i.e., a jack) traditionally flownby pirate ships; popularly thought to be a white skulland crossed boneson a black field (the Jolly Roger). In older literature sometimes spelled "black jack".
- noun a small, flat,
blunt, usually leather-covered instrument loaded with heavy material such as leador ball bearings.
- noun a type of weed, Bidens pilosa, in the family
- verb To
strikewith a blackjack or similar weapon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb exert pressure on someone through threats
- noun a flag usually bearing a white skull and crossbones on a black background; indicates a pirate ship
- noun a gambling game using cards; the object is to hold cards having a higher count than those dealt to the banker up to but not exceeding 21
- noun a piece of metal covered by leather with a flexible handle; used for hitting people
- noun a common scrubby deciduous tree of central and southeastern United States having dark bark and broad three-lobed (club-shaped) leaves; tends to form dense thickets
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.