from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The head servant in a household who is usually in charge of food service, the care of silverware, and the deportment of the other servants.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A manservant having charge of wines and liquors.
- n. The chief male servant of a household who has charge of other employees, receives guests, directs the serving of meals, and performs various personal services.
- n. A valet, a male personal attendant.
- v. To buttle, to dispense wines or liquors; to take the place of a butler.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An officer in a king's or a nobleman's household, whose principal business it is to take charge of the liquors, plate, etc.; the head servant in a large house.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A man-servant in a household whose principal duty is to take charge of the liquors, plate, etc.; the head male servant of a household.
- n. The title of an official of high rank nominally connected with the importation and supply of wine for the royal table, but having different duties in different countries and at various times.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. English poet (1612-1680)
- n. a manservant (usually the head servant of a household) who has charge of wines and the table
- n. English novelist who described a fictitious land he called Erewhon (1835-1902)
It turns out that their butler is actually 20 faces under one of his disguises.
Batman punches them off when kicking his ass. justin butler you intergalatic giant nerds.
Alfred the butler is right he just wants to watch the world burn. nothing means anything to him. but to bring chaotic order. and he does it in such away it leaves you breathless.
Himura then says that a butler is not fulfilling his responsibilities when he cannot see trash on the floor.
Azumamiya then tells Nonohora that he gets now what his butler is trying to teach him.
I mean, Harry has been hell-bent on killing Peter for quite a while now, but a brief 30 second conversation with the butler is enough to make him see the light and change his mind?
Overlook's Elephant Walk links to the story: The butler is dead!
Men in butler costumes is a theme in women's "Boys 'Love" manga, which features attractive young men's homoerotic relationships:
Ali remembered the night Arabella Ashcroft had realized that her long-term butler was gay.
First, Faauma — the bronze candlestick, whom otherwise I called my butler — bolted from the bed and bosom of Lafaele, the Archangel Hercules, prefect of the cattle.