from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Unrestricted power to act at one's own discretion; unconditional authority.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A blank paper; specifically, a paper duly authenticated with signature, etc., and intrusted to a person to be filled up at his discretion; hence, figuratively, permission or authority in a particular matter, without condition or qualification; unrestricted power to act or decide.
- noun In the game of piquet, a hand without a king, queen, or knave.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- A blank paper, with a person's signature, etc., at the bottom, given to another person, with permission to superscribe what conditions he pleases. Hence: Unconditional terms; unlimited authority.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Unlimited discretionary power to act; unrestricted authority
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun complete freedom or authority to act
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[French : carte, ticket + blanche, blank.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Borrowing from French carte blanche, referring to a "blank card".
Sorry, no example sentences found.