from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A series of events in which each induces or influences the next.
- noun Physics A multistage nuclear reaction, especially a self-sustaining series of fissions in which the release of neutrons from the splitting of one atom leads to the splitting of others.
- noun Chemistry A series of reactions in which one product of a reacting set is a reactant in the following set.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun physics A
nuclear reactionin which particles produced by the fission of one atom trigger fissions of other atoms.
- noun idiomatic A series of events, each one causing the next.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a self-sustaining nuclear reaction; a series of nuclear fissions in which neutrons released by splitting one atom leads to the splitting of others
- noun a series of chemical reactions in which the product of one is a reactant in the next
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word chain reaction.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.