from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One to whom secrets or private matters are disclosed.
- n. A character in a drama or fiction, such as a trusted friend or servant, who serves as a device for revealing the inner thoughts or intentions of a main character.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a person in whom one can confide or share one's secrets: a friend
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- One to whom secrets, especially those relating to affairs of love, are confided or intrusted; a confidential or bosom friend.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person intrusted with the confidence of another; one to whom secrets are confided; a confidential friend.
- n. A part of a woman's coiffure usual in the seventeenth century; a small curl worn near the ear.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone to whom private matters are confided
His closest advisor and confidant is his wife and thereby FAIR GAME! tired of the election
For over a decade, Mubarak has not served alongside a vice president, but today, he appointed Omar Suleiman, the country's intelligence chief and a long term confidant of the president, to the post.
In the wake of her latest heartbreak, Jennifer Aniston has again sought solace in her long-term confidant and former Friends costar Courteney Cox.
But Robin Turner, the Vines's A&R man and long-term confidant at their UK label Heavenly, always thought his habit was a hindrance, not a help.
In a sketch, the Washington Post’s Dana Milbank focuses on a top McCain confidant, Carly Fiorina, the former Hewlett-Packard chief who is now one of the Republican’s most visible surrogates.
But now, with quite a bit of fanfare, Rogers is planning to call the confidant of Speaker Nancy Pelosi out on the mat, or at least the House floor.
A journal takes the place of a confidant, that is, of friend or wife; it becomes a substitute for production, a substitute for country and public.
Known as a confidant of Jobs, the soft-spoken Ive has led Apple's design team since 1996 and was among the few who survived brutal staff cuts Jobs made when he returned to Apple in late 1997.
She also met Iran's point person on nuclear talks, Saeed Jalili, widely known as a confidant of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
Rosy eventually calls her confidant and former girlfriend Mary (Lydia Alfonsi) and begs her to come over and stay the night.