from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A congenital condition caused by a deficiency of thyroid hormone during prenatal development and characterized in childhood by dwarfed stature, mental retardation, dystrophy of the bones, and a low basal metabolism. Also called congenital myxedema.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A condition of severely stunted physical and mental growth due to the untreated congenital deficiency of thyroid hormones.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A condition of endemic or inherited idiocy, accompanied by physical degeneracy and deformity (usually with goiter), frequent in certain mountain valleys, esp. of the Alps.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, a condition of imperfect mental development or idiocy, with a corresponding lack of physical development, or deformity, arising from endemic causes, found among the inhabitants of the valleys of Switzerland and Savoy, and elsewhere.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. severe hypothyroidism resulting in physical and mental stunting
For example, Thailand (only a half standard deviation below the US) has recently started a what appears to be a well-designed, sensible national program to boost average IQ by fortification of staple foods with iodine and other essential micronutrients in order to prevent IQ-lowering medical syndromes like the medical condition known as cretinism, which is caused by lack of iodine (the US instititued fortification of all salt with iodine back before WWII to eliminate cretinism).
They are horrible too, aren’t they? they did horrible things to deserve this didn’t they? moral cretinism is alive and well in America.
Imperfect development or absence of this organ, or an inactive condition of it, produces in the child arrested growth and deficient mental development known as cretinism, and in the adult the same condition gives rise to mental deterioration, swelling of the skin, due to a greater content of water, and loss of hair.
The peculiar disease called cretinism, as well as goitre, has been attributed to a predominance of certain chemicals in the soil.
There is a congenital disease called cretinism which essentially is due to a lack of thyroid secretion.
Thyroid deficiency in children gives rise to a form of idiocy, bodily malformation and degeneracy known as cretinism, while in adult life it is associated with a similar disorder known as myxedema.
Others argued that the bones were from modern human pygmies or people whose brains were dwarfed by a genetic disease called cretinism, giving rise to a small body and abnormally tiny skull.
The particular form of idiocy known as cretinism is the result of this deficiency, which produces an arrest of the development of the brain cells.
That helped eliminate "cretinism" and similar medical problems lowering intelligence in the industrialized world a few generations ago.
Probably the cheapest way to raise IQs in Africa is to attack diseases caused by a lack of micronutrients that are known to lower IQ, such as "cretinism," which is caused by lack of iodine.