from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A jackdaw.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A western jackdaw, Corvus monedula; a bird of crow family, more commonly called jackdaw.
- n. An idiot, a simpleton; fool.
- v. To dawn.
- v. To wake (someone) up.
- v. To daunt; to terrify.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A European bird of the Crow family (Corvus monedula), often nesting in church towers and ruins; a jackdaw.
- intransitive v. To dawn.
- transitive v. To rouse.
- transitive v. To daunt; to terrify.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To become day; dawn.
- n. A jackdaw. See dawcock.
- n. A foolish, empty fellow.
- n. A sluggard; a slattern.
- To thrive; prosper; recover health or spirits.
- To cause to recover one's spirits; hearten; encourage; cheer.
- To daunt; frighten.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. common black-and-grey Eurasian bird noted for thievery
How, I inquired, did these innocent birds get on with their black neighbours, seeing that the daw is a cunning creature much given to persecution -- a crow, in fact, as black as any of his family?
Sabi ni Tatay, simulan ko na daw ang mag-diet kundi baka daw iwan ako ng asawa ko.
"Daw Aung San Suu Kyi said she was absolutely dissatisfied with the arrangement - giving more time for the prosecution to prepare the argument," said Nyan Win, using the respectful term "daw" for the Nobel Peace Prize laureate.
There is another kind of daw found in Lybia and Phrygia, which is web-footed.
For my own part I think that Cain's version is infinitely more humorous and instructive as well, because a "door is not a door" when it is a "daw," which is, indeed, as Cain's answer to the riddle claims it to be, a bird.
He who is connected with a "daw," or drab, has many troubles to put up with.
I think the Korean management that will relay the reasons of the postpone came in the hotel riding a taxi, I just figured it out because manong taxi driver told us when we rode in that the Korean guy is in a hurry and its about that press con and interview "daw" with tv and media.
In a 1992 guide she wrote for the national MSA about how to establish a 'daw'ah' table to attract non-Muslims to the faith, she talks about the danger of succumbing to Western pressure to 'water down' Islam to make it fit a Western perspective.
Let the cowls at Salamanca cluster thick as rook and daw!
On March 1st 2009, Melanney daw wrote: david cook should ask someone out like carrie undrewood.