from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Too deep to be fathomed or measured.
- adj. Too obscure or complicated to be understood.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Very deep (especially of water deeper than a lead line can measure); bottomless
- adj. unfathomable or incomprehensible
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Incapable of being fathomed; immeasurable; that can not be sounded.
- adj. Incomprehensible.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Incapable of being embraced or encompassed with the arms.
- Having a depth so great that it cannot be fathomed; bottomless.
- Not to be penetrated by thought or comprehended.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It is indeed a fathomless mystery of theology, and even if I were theologian enough to deal with it directly, it would not be relevant to do so here.
They liked to believe that King Minos of Crete, their mythical enemy from some even older past, had hidden a hellish monster that devoured the flower of Greek youth in the fathomless Labyrinth set below the palace of Knossos.
Adrian Wilson couldn't quite bring himself to acknowledge the depths of fathomless futility.
He is ably assisted, of course, by the fathomless whiteness that surrounds his characters, and swallows up moral uncertainty like a seal eating a fish.
The spirit of fathomless self-rebuke would spread to America during the Vietnam era, when defeat was almost welcomed as the penalty for America's many sins.
One of Márai's contemporaries, the great Hungarian poet Sándor Weöres, expressed the frightening sense of something dark and fathomless beneath our busy lives.
It was the world, with a fathomless past and boundaries that were over the horizon.
Here too that the usual Bloomian oracular tone is established in fathomless aperçus: "Literature for me is not merely the best part of life; it is itself the form of life, which has no other form."
Reading her books had offered him a peek inside her fathomless brain, so he knew she was clever enough to wrap him entirely about her finger if he allowed it.
And I am forever a dolphin in blue sleepless waves, swimming toward a distant fathomless light.