from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Difficult or impossible to understand or comprehend; unintelligible.
- adjective Impossible to know or fathom.
- adjective Archaic Having no limits; boundless.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A thing or being that cannot be circumscribed within limits or that cannot be grasped by the intellect.
- Not to be comprehended or comprised within limits; illimitable.
- Not to be comprehended or understood; that cannot be grasped by the mind.
- That is incomprehensible which may be known or believed as a fact, but of which the mode of existence or of operation, or of coming to pass, cannot be understood.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Not capable of being contained within limits.
- adjective Not capable of being comprehended or understood; beyond the reach of the human intellect; inconceivable.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective impossible or very difficult to
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective incapable of being explained or accounted for
- adjective difficult to understand
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
And that is really what they call the incomprehensible demoralization and humiliation of alcoholism and that ` s usually what happens right before you hit bottom.
The report said there was a lack of an appropriate response which it describes as "incomprehensible " in light of "the association's history of internal fraud" in recent years.
BBC News - Home 2011
When you pass between my eye and an object, the object disappears, but so unusual and incomprehensible is its disappearance that it seems to me as though my eyes had blurred.
Isaac was very dear to him; but God, in incomprehensible ways, was yet dearer.
And in incomprehensible ways they are made glad by the earth smells and sights and sounds which their blood has not forgotten though unremembered by them.
HOPS AND HOPPERS 2010
February 19th, 2009 at 10: 08 am actually, don, it was the progressive labor faction that spoke in incomprehensible jargon, although your basic point about the weather underground – upper-middle class kids playing at revolution – is true.
The part that I really find incomprehensible is that it's not always the same spot that gives me trouble.
aim for the heart and fire away matociquala 2008
Traffic stopped and started in incomprehensible ways, following signals lost to me.
The universe begins and ends in incomprehensible riddles.
Not only do they make the Treaty incomprehensible but they make it available only in incomprehensible French.
Referendum News 2007