from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who is occupied with or expert in large-scale financial affairs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who, as a profession, profits from large financial transactions.
- n. A company that does the same.
- n. A light, spongy teacake, usually based on almond flour or flavoring.
- n. A traditional French (Ragoût a la Financière) or Piemontese (Finanziera alla piemontese) rich sauce or ragout, made with coxcomb, wattles, cock's testicles, chicken livers and a variety of other ingredients.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One charged with the administration of finance; an officer who administers the public revenue; a treasurer.
- n. One skilled in financial operations; one acquainted with money matters.
- intransitive v. To conduct financial operations.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To conduct financial operations; act as a financier; finance; in a derogatory sense, to engage in financial scheming or irregular pecuniary transactions.
- To act as financier for; manage or contrive ways and means for; finance.
- n. An officer who is intrusted with the control of financial interests; one who regulates or manages the public revenues.
- n. One skilled in financial operations, whether public, corporate, or individual; one who understands money matters.
- n. In France, formerly, a receiver or farmer of the public revenues.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. conduct financial operations, often in an unethical manner
- n. a person skilled in large scale financial transactions
The financier is George Soros, the Jewish Holocaust survivor and financier, who in his thick Dr. Strangelove accent brags that he pocketed the government bailout money and converted it into Swiss francs because he has taken a short position on the $US.
Romney's record as a corporate financier is one of a disciplined, sometimes ruthless, and determined son.
Iran is the main financier and sponsor of violent hatred, but a large portion of the Middle East continues to allow Mullahs to disseminate violent hatred and calls for Jihad on a daily basis.
Robert J. Perry, the main financier behind the effort to discredit Sen. John F. Kerry's military record, is the most prolific political donor in Texas.
• Zynga CEO Pincus calls the financier "a trusted adviser"
CIT Group is a short-term financier to about 2,000 vendors that supply merchandise to 300,000 stores, according to the National Retail Federation.
CIT serves as short-term financier to about 2,000 vendors that supply merchandise to 300,000 stores, according to the National Retail Federation.
CIT serves as short-term financier to about 2,000 vendors that supply merchandise to
The company is a short-term financier to 2,000 vendors that supply merchandise to
It is a short-term financier to about 2,000 vendors that supply merchandise to 300,000 stores, according to the National Retail Federation.