from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person who commits crimes such as extortion, loansharking, bribery, and obstruction of justice in furtherance of illegal business activities.
- intransitive v. To carry on illegal business activities that involve crimes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. one who commits crimes (especially fraud, bribery, loansharking, extortion etc.) to aid in running a shady or illegal business.
- n. one who instigates or has involvement with a racket.
- v. to carry out illegal business activities or criminal schemes.
- v. to commit crimes systematically as part of a criminal organization.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. carry on illegal business activities involving crime
- n. someone who commits crimes for profit (especially one who obtains money by fraud or extortion)
Time, the great racketeer, is always stealing from us.
He was identified as a racketeer in hearings before a U.S.
Webster's definition of 'racketeer': "one who obtains money by an illegal enterprise usually involving intimidation"
Three Azerbaijani wrestlers win silvers at European Championship - UPDATE Azerbaijan Press Council announces seven newspapers "racketeer"
Azerbaijan Press Council announces seven newspapers "racketeer"
Measured moves by feared waterfront racketeer Tino Fiumara to reassert his control over the New Jersey docks came to a sudden and decisive end last week.
In a secret FBI memo, Genovese soldier George Barone, a waterfront racketeer for decades, gave Fiumara the ultimate gangster compliment.
As a young lawyer, in 1991, he visited the convicted racketeer in prison, at the request of a relative, he told the Times.
Measured moves by feared waterfront racketeer Tino Fiumara to reassert his control over the New Jersey docks and move toward the top of the powerful Genovese crime family - as well as the feds 'efforts to derail him - came to a sudden and decisive end last week.
In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.