from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An unrefined brown sugar with a strong flavour of molasses.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to, or of the nature of, unrefined or raw sugar, obtained from the juice of the sugar cane by evaporating and draining off the molasses. Muscovado sugar contains impurities which render it dark colored and moist.
- n. Unrefined or raw sugar.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Unrefined sugar; the raw material from which loaf-sugar and lump-sugar are procured by refining.
- n. In petrography, a name given by Minnesota geologists to any rusty-brown weathered rock that resembles brown sugar. It has been applied to gabbros and to quartzite.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
This is called muscovado sugar, which is afterwards refined.
When the hogsheads were full of the crudely cured, moist, and impure "muscovado" sugar, they were headed up and sent to port.
The pieces of eight were to be accepted at four shillings each, and 2,400 pounds of muscovado sugar were to be accepted in exchange for a slave.
Serves 42 racks of baby back / loin ribs1 tbsp Marmite1 tbsp English mustard1½ tsp smoked paprika2 tbsp tomato ketchup2½ tbsp dark muscovado sugar1.
Even Mary Berry's light soft brown sugar is a bit mild – no, what you need here is the dark muscovado employed by Claire Clark and Dan Lepard – although the vast amount of treacle the latter spoons in with it makes it taste more like parkin.
MAKES ABOUT 175butter 250ggolden syrup 125gmuscovado sugar 250gblanched and chopped almonds 50gcandied lemon 50g, finely chopped candied orange 50g, finely chopped ground cinnamon 1 tbsp ground cloves 2 tsp ground cardamom ½ tsp ground ginger ½ tsp plain wheat flour 500g siftedMelt butter, syrup and muscovado sugar in a pan and stir until the mixture is smooth.
After all, you need to leave room for a mince pie.250g currants250g sultanas100g dried figs, roughly chopped100g glacé cherries, cut in half100g mixed peel125ml whisky, plus extra to feed125g butter, softened125g muscovado sugar4 eggs, beaten130g plain flour½ tsp baking powder1 tsp mixed spice50g ground almondsGrated zest of 1 lemon50g whole almonds25g crystallised ginger, chopped1.
What are demerara, turbinado and muscovado sugars?
For the filling: small, ripe pears 1kg butter 15g light muscovado sugar 3 lightly heaped tbsp
I baked several that had ripened at once this week in a simple open tart, tossing the chopped fruits with light muscovado sugar and making a pudding that was little more than crust and fruit.