from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adverb In another way; differently.
- adverb Under other circumstances.
- adverb In other respects.
- adverb Used to indicate a category to which the preceding adverb does not apply.
- adverb Or else.
- conjunction If not; or else.
- adjective Other than supposed; different.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Different; of a different kind or character.
- Else; but for the reason indicated.
- On the other hand.
- In a different manner or way; differently.
- By other means; from other causes; on other terms.
- In other respects; under other circumstances; in a different case.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adverb In a different manner; in another way, or in other ways; differently; contrarily.
- adverb In other respects.
- adverb In different circumstances; under other conditions.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adverb manner Differently, in another way.
- adverb conjunctive In different
circumstances; or else.
- adverb conjunctive In all other respects.
- adjective Other than supposed, different.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adverb in other respects or ways
- adjective other than as supposed or expected
- adverb in another and different manner
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
"But there’s nothing to tell about me," said Jack, "except that I’m always in difficulties — financial — or otherwise, — oftenest ’otherwise,’ I must confess."
Shinto expounders have, it is true, attempted to interpret the term otherwise; and Hirata, as quoted by Mr. Ernest Satow, declared the name should be applied only to the common ancestor, or ancestors, or to one so entitled to the gratitude of a community as to merit equal honours.
Is the term otherwise known, and what bird is it? cold duck not the drink, but a dance.
Of course, more and more of our media are digital in some way today so this is another reason to shy away from digital literacy as a term otherwise it could also cover TV, Radio and programming!
July 23rd, 2009 2: 38 pm ET he didnt say anything that wasnt true. seem like certain member of our society want to believe black, and latinos dont get discriminated more. anyone who think otherwise is stupid.
To do otherwise is to advocate for a smaller share of federal funding for our constituents.
Did anyone expect otherwise from the Limbaugh crowd?
I guess its a good thing that during our revolution, there was no Republican party to whine and complain otherwise there might never have been a USA!
Expressing your opinion to a police officer, politely or otherwise, is not against the law.
To do otherwise is to have the Court's discussions in an echo chamber, each reinforcing their actiivist CONSERVATIVE views.