from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Of, relating to, or resembling a phallus.
- adjective Of or relating to the cult of the phallus as an embodiment of generative power.
- adjective Of or relating to the third stage of psychosexual development in psychoanalytic theory, from about ages three to six, during which gratification is focused on sensations associated with the genital organs. The phallic stage is preceded by the anal stage and followed by the latency period.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Of or pertaining to the phallus or the generative principle in nature: as, phallic worship.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Of or pertaining to the phallus, or to phallism.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective Having to do with the
penis, especially in terms of shape.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective relating to a phallus especially as an embodiment of generative power
- adjective resembling or being a phallus
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
And the manner in which political manhood gets displayed is tiresomely predictable: macho chest beating, posing with the fetish objects of anxious masculinity (trucks, big machines, and even bigger weapons), humiliating your opponent with castrating insults, calling into question his or her ability to be tough, ruthless, and merciless with the designated enemy of the moment -- in short, phallic strutting.
No problem acknowledging also that among the many different traditions, practices and stories that have fused and sometimes not even touched and just hung around together in what we now call Hinduism, there is room, and maybe even some intellectual and spiritual value in some contexts, for what is still quite crudely called the "phallic" perspective.
They occur in all languages, and hint how readily the worship of fire glided into that of the reproductive principle, into extravagances of chastity and lewdness, into the shocking orgies of the so-called phallic worship.
The manufacturers of sex toys and virtual magic swords are presumably trying to achieve a similar kind of phallic appearance, but rarely has it been this blatant.
Get yourself covered from head to toe with drilling mud and hydraulic fluid and you won't think there's much "phallic" about offshore drilling.
Jen, did you intentionally skip the um... "phallic" nature of the last frog?
"I think the phallic nature of the guitar generally makes men gravitate towards it as a kind of phallic extension," Türoque says of this gender divide.
In case you don't read in English that much (other than the ultimately-lame lyrics of Britney Spears 'songs), the word' phallic 'means' related to (and/or shapes resembling) the full erection of the male penis '.
For some reason at one end of the beach there is a cave containing some kind of phallic shrine whuich may be due to the phallic shaped rock towering off the coastline!
The mayor of a Maltese village has called on the government to remove a 'phallic' statue ahead of a visit from the Pope this weekend.