from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Of deep igneous or magmatic origin.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Of or relating to Pluto or the regions of fire; subterranean; dark
- Pertaining to or designating the system of the Plutonists: as, the Plutonic theory.
- In geology, formed deep below the surface.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Of or pertaining to Pluto; Plutonian; hence, pertaining to the interior of the earth; subterranean.
- adjective Of, pertaining to, or designating, the system of the Plutonists; igneous.
- adjective (Geol.) the influence of volcanic heat and other subterranean forces under pressure.
- adjective (Geol.) granite, porphyry, and some other igneous rocks, supposed to have consolidated from a melted state at a great depth from the surface. Cf. Intrusive rocks, under
- adjective (Geol.) See
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective mineralogy An
igneous rockthat cooled and hardened below the earth's surface.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective of igneous rock that has solidified beneath the earth's surface; granite or diorite or gabbro
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Most of them want to be my "plutonic" friend but want nothing to do with me in the long term romantic dept.
"plutonic" friend but want nothing to do with me in the long term romantic dept.
Although it's obvious that Luke and Lorelai are working towards getting back together, or at least a friendly plutonic reconciliation, it feels kind of forced.
On mafic plutonic rocks, they are mostly Mollic and Typic Haploxeralfs and Typic Rhodoxeralfs.
We have been in this setting pretty much since the Miocene, with the exposed roots of volcanoes the coast maountain plutonic complex as evidence.
This subsection contains mainly Mesozoic granitic and mafic plutonic rocks, Jura-Triassic volcanic rocks, Pre-Cretaceous metamorphic rocks, and Eocene and Oligocene marine and nonmarine and Miocene marine sedimentary rocks.
Even Althouse and it would of been totally plutonic.
The mountain ranges (sky islands) are a geologic mix of Tertiary volcanic and intrusive granitic rocks, Paleozoic sedimentary layers, and some Precambrian granitic plutonic rocks.
Over and over again, it is the story I get from nearly every visitor to various islands, most of which are described as lusciously green and serene and not the place to go with plutonic friends.
The mountains are comprised of acid plutonic and volcanic rocks belonging to the Precambrian basement complex of the southern part of the Sinai Peninsula.