from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See mercury.
- adj. Unpredictable; mercurial: "a quicksilver character, cool and willful at one moment, utterly fragile the next” ( Sven Birkerts).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The metal mercury.
- n. An amalgam of mercury and tin applied to the backs of mirrors, quicksilvering.
- adj. Unpredictable, erratic or fickle; mercurial.
- v. To overlay with quicksilver.
- v. To treat with quicksilver.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The metal mercury; -- so called from its resemblance to liquid silver.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To overlay with quicksilver; treat with quicksilver: chiefly used in the past and present participles.
- n. The common popular designation of the metal mercury. See mercury, 6, and mercurial.
- n. A term popularly applied to the amalgam of mercury and tin on the back of a common mirror.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. liable to sudden unpredictable change
- n. a heavy silvery toxic univalent and bivalent metallic element; the only metal that is liquid at ordinary temperatures
The gore here is clinical but the plot flows like quicksilver from the splash page to the climax, with interesting characters and situations combined with well-conceived visuals, that last always a Zenescope trademark.
Mercury is also known by the popular name of quicksilver, derived from the Greek words, hydros meaning water, and argyros meaning silver, because this silvery mineral occurs at room temperature as a liquid.
Hebrew root, "pant" or "snort," referring to the sound of the bellows blown hard. lead -- employed to separate the baser metal from the silver, as quicksilver is now used.
The lead, which was then used in refining silver, as quicksilver is now, is consumed of the fire, and has not done its work.
i was a hardcore windows fan until 4 years ago, finally since XP was getting so old and I wanted a new computer i decided to try it out. it took a bit. but life changed. quicksilver is your keyboard answer to anything drag and drop. mac osx is your answer to anything windows.
Our ability to foresee and avert techno-terrorism or bio slip-ups may be more like Skating on Stilts over ball bearings in quicksilver.
Mercury is a neurotoxic element that was once known as quicksilver and ranks next to gold at No. 80 on the periodic table.
But this is best seen in quicksilver, which is not inaptly called mineral water.
Of this viscous water and fusible earth, or sulphur, is composed that which is called quicksilver, the first matter of the metals.
During the digging it sheds, under the blows of the tools, tear after tear of quicksilver, which is at once gathered up by the diggers.