from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Moving quickly and lightly; lively.
- adj. Restlessly active or nervous; restive.
- adj. Undependably variable; mercurial or fickle.
- adj. Shy; bashful.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Easily scared or startled; timid.
- adj. wanton; changeable; fickle
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Easily frightened; timorous; shy; untrustworthy.
- adj. Wanton; restive; freakish; volatile; changeable; fickle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Easily frightened; disposed to start, jump, or run, as if from fright.
- Hence Shy; avoiding familiarity or intercourse; timid; retiring; coy.
- Changeable; volatile; fickle: inconstant; capricious.
- Deceitful; tricky; deceptive.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. unpredictably excitable (especially of horses)
Still, shoppers remain skittish about the economic recovery, leaving the retail industry uncertain about the upcoming holiday season.
Bloomberg News Sales are rising, but companies remain skittish over demand.
Spirited horses, when not enough exercised, are often called skittish, when it is only play; and some grooms will punish them, but our John did not; he knew it was only high spirits.
The mare was not "skittish" -- by no means -- according to Tom's idea, but it would have been more than an ordinary mare to have stood the sudden descent of half-a-ton of snow without _some_ symptoms of consciousness.
The mare was not "skittish" -- by no means -- according to Tom's idea, but it would have been more than an ordinary mare to have stood the sudden descent of half a ton of snow without _some_ symptoms of consciousness.
But if some investors are skittish, that isn't reflected in the Treasury bond data.
Not knowing if they're going to play is only going to make them more skittish, which is really the last thing we need.
Ellie Mae, described as a skittish, one-and-a-half year old, medium-sized, beagle-shepherd mix, ran away from a volunteer dog walker on Independence Pass on March 3, according to Anne Gurchick, assistant director of the Aspen / Pitkin Animal Shelter.
A few days before the firings in late 2006, then Deputy Attorney General Paul McNulty e-mailed he was a little "skittish" about Bogden's firing but did not intervene to take his name off the list.
He has delivered a few paid speeches, done some mediation work and plans to do some arbitration, but said law firms have been "skittish" about hiring him.