from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of rebutting.
- n. A statement made in rebutting.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of refuting something by making a contrary argument, or presenting contrary evidence.
- n. A pleading by a defendant in reply to the evidence put forward by a plaintiff or the prosecution.
- n. A statement, designed to refute or negate specific arguments put forward by opponents.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The giving of evidence on the part of a plaintiff to destroy the effect of evidence introduced by the defendant in the same suit.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of rebutting; refutation; confutation; contradiction.
- n. In law, that part of a trial in which the plaintiff endeavors to meet the defendant's evidence by counter-evidence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (law) a pleading by the defendant in reply to a plaintiff's surrejoinder
- n. the speech act of refuting by offering a contrary contention or argument
Ok Mister moderator, can we have a rebuttal from the Aliens?
Dux, in rebuttal, states that The Los Angeles Times used a receipt with an incorrect spelling of his name to back up their claim.
My review was also a focus of the discussion on the Poli-Sci-Fi Radio podcast this week, to which my rage-filled rebuttal is currently being shouted impotently into the void.
The Long et al. (2003) paper was introduced in rebuttal to Behe and Minnich's arguments, and Pandas 'arguments, about information, which suggested that all functional sequence information in the DNA has an intelligent source, not just the origin of life.
So my rebuttal is offered in a respectful, friendly manner, and I hope it is taken that way.
Anyone notice the Democrats rebuttal is always to point fingers at someone else?
The Drudgereport article regarding Obama's words have NOT been removed AND the government rebuttal is there as well ...
The rebuttal is that the parking charge is for parking, not receiving care.
January 14th, 2009 at 2: 38 pm joe from Lowell makes an excellent point in rebuttal to Kirchick.
The news created buzz around the world, with heavy coverage by newspapers and blogs, and even a rebuttal from the show's executive producer.