from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The act or an instance of resuming; a beginning again.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The act of resuming, taking back, or taking again: as, the resumption of a grant; specifically, in law, the taking again by the state of such lands or tenements, etc., as on false suggestion or other error had been granted by letters patent.
- noun Specifically In U. S. hist, and politics, the return to specie payments by the government.
- noun In Welsh prosody, the practice of beginning every verse with the same letter, which is sustained throughout.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The act of resuming
- noun (Eng.Law) The taking again into the king's hands of such lands or tenements as he had granted to any man on false suggestions or other error.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The act of
resumingor startingsomething again.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun beginning again
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin resūmptiō, resūmptiōn-, recovery, from Latin resūmptus, past participle of resūmere, to resume; see resume.]
Sorry, no example sentences found.