from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The reading aloud of a list of names of people, as in a classroom or military post, to determine who is present or absent.
- n. The time fixed for such a reading.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the reading aloud of a list of names, and subsequent responses, in order to determine who is present or absent
- n. the time of day fixed for such an event
- n. such an event in a legislative body in order to determine if a quorum exists
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the act, or the time, of calling over a list names, as among soldiers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of calling over a list of names, as of a school or society, or of men who compose a military or legislative body.
- n. The military signal given by the drum, trumpet, or other musical instrument for soldiers to attend the calling of the roll.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. calling out an official list of names
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.