from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The reading aloud of a list of names of people, as in a classroom or military post, to determine who is present or absent.
- noun The time fixed for such a reading.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The act of calling over a list of names, as of a school or society, or of men who compose a military or legislative body.
- noun The military signal given by the drum, trumpet, or other musical instrument for soldiers to attend the calling of the roll.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun the
reading aloudof a listof names, and subsequent responses, in order to determine who is presentor absent
- noun the time of day fixed for such an event
- noun such an event in a
legislative bodyin order to determine if a quorumexists
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun calling out an official list of names
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.