from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A thole pin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To suffer.
- v. To endure, to tolerate, to put up with.
- n. a pin in the side of a boat which acts as a fulcrum for the oars
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A wooden or metal pin, set in the gunwale of a boat, to serve as a fulcrum for the oar in rowing.
- n. The pin, or handle, of a scythe snath.
- transitive v. To bear; to endure; to undergo.
- intransitive v. To wait.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To bear; undergo; sustain; put up with; stand.
- To experience; feel; suffer.
- To tolerate; permit; allow.
- To admit of; afford.
- To give freely.
- To endure grief, pain, misfortune, etc.; suffer.
- To be patient or tolerant; bear (with); be indulgent.
- To wait; stay; remain.
- n. Patience; endurance; tolerance.
- n. A pin inserted in the gunwale of a boat, or in a similar position, to act as a fulcrum for the oar in rowing.
- n. The pin or handle of a scythe-snath.
- n. A cart-pin.
- n. In architecture: Same as tholus; sometimes, a vaulted niche, or recess in a temple, where votive offerings were suspended.
- n. The scutcheon or knot at the center of a timber vault.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a holder attached to the gunwale of a boat that holds the oar in place and acts as a fulcrum for rowing
So that, although we may with fome degree of propriety adopt the idea of thole hif - tarian«, who tells us, that the king was taller than the genera -
… this is good … i like the idea of thole starting the season in Triple-A, where he can work on catching big-league quality pitching, under the tutelage of Chris Coste … the question now is, what happens to Omir Santos … will he or Shawn Riggans end up being traded … and, if so, to whom and for what …
Finally. gaustad sh! thole, meaning the entire city of Buffalo, not your little neighborhood.
UN International Sh! thole of the year, 40 years running.
Shut your lying sh! thole and work with our president!
In 100 years, the entire territory of Jew-Free Palestine will be the same kind of s – thole that Gaza is today.
After the federal Tory cabinet minister swore at Charlottetown airport security personnel and said theyâd cause her to be âstuck in this s–thole,â an anonymous resident got revenge for the city by publicizing her outburst in a letter, forcing her to apologize.
Then away they rowed, so hard and fast, that well-nigh the half of the keel slipped away from the ship, and so hard they laid on to the oars that thole and gunwale brake.
"Ho! some of you catch up chance spars, break up the benches, or snatch the oar-blade from the thole, and beat out the brains of these our foreign foes."
And round the thole-pins they fitted the oars, and in the ship they placed the mast and the well-made sails and the stores.