from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not productive; idle.
- adj. Economics Adding nothing to exchangeable value.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not productive; useless; fruitless.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not productive; barren; more especially, not producing large crops; not making profitable returns for labor: as, unproductive land; in political economics, not increasing the quantity or exchangeable value of articles of consumption: as, unproductive labor.
- Not producing some specified effect or result: with of: as, acts unproductive of good.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not producing or capable of producing
- adj. not producing desired results
You see, she made her own living before she married me and she's got no use for what she calls the unproductive consumer.
Mr Lipsky smiled when asked about this, saying he had asked for the word "unproductive" to be removed from the statement after some "real progress" was made during ill-tempered talks the previous night ie, Germany gave up on the idea of debt swaps.
Of course, sometimes they end up being stupid or go off in unproductive directions.
It distorts education policy in unproductive ways.
"Most people have energy tied up in unproductive strategies that produce unnecessary drama," says Barbara McRae, a master certified coach and author of Less Drama, More Fun.
This will make exploration much more effective, as time will not be wasted in unproductive areas, and work can be concentrated where geological conditions appear favorable.
The tax, in its essence and positive destiny, is the form of distribution among that species of functionaries which Adam Smith has designated by the word unproductive, although he admits as much as any one the utility and even the necessity of their labor in society.
"My joke is I had this studio with incredibly good reception and it ruined everything," Ms. Homes says, recalling her unproductive sojourn.
You've got to take good cash, productive cash, and put it to so-called unproductive use by paying down liabilities.
We came to the conclusion that would be unrealistic and in the long term unproductive, "he told Media.