from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- suffix Producer: androgen.
- suffix One that is produced: phosgene.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- suffix A producer of something, e.g. hydrogen.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A suffix used in scientific words in the sense of producing, generating: as, amphigen, amidogen, halogen.
- A suffix meaning produced, generated.
French -gène, from Greek -genēs, born; see genə- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek -γενής (genēs, "producer of") (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.