from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Roman Catholic Church A prayer based on the greetings of Gabriel and Saint Elizabeth to the Virgin Mary. Also called Ave Maria.
- n. Football A long pass thrown in desperation, especially near the end of a game.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A prayer calling for the intercession of the Holy Mother, for Catholics an essential element of the rosary, and with use in certain other denominations.
- n. A long forward pass with little chance of completion, typically used when time is running out and no other play is practical.
- n. An act done in desperation, with only a very small chance of success.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- interj. a form of prayer made use of in the Roman Catholic Church in invocation of the Virgin. See Ave Maria.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a salutation to the Virgin Mary now used in prayers to her
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sometimes you can play out a losing hand by the book, or you can bet the bank on a Hail Mary, which is what this sounds like.
McCain called a Hail Mary and she caught the pass but is still not in the end zone.
Let me see if I've got this straight - people probing into a Vice-Presidential candidate's background is "sexist," but John McCain calling his Hail Mary running pick a "soul mate" isn't?
This play is called a Hail Mary because it is, essentially, a prayer.
That doesn ` t mean they can ` t call a Hail Mary and save the day.
At the end of the football game, a team sometimes throws a desperation pass -- and I know this because I ` m not a sports fan -- called a Hail Mary and tries to win the game.
Or in football, you just call a Hail Mary play and burned Red China for 50 yards Hu's humiliation, you are in red zone, you take a QB kneel, what's next, QB scrumble or FB rush?
He calls a Hail Mary pass for Pelosi and Reid on a deep post pattern, and the ball comes up short, intercepted by Ahmadinejad on the 5 yard line.
Heck, listen to the words of the traditional Catholic Prayer, the Hail Mary, which is an integral part of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
His first poster was for a band called Hail Mary, a hardcore punk outfit from New York.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.