from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the ancient Hellenes, their language, or their history; Greek.
- n. The branch of the Indo-European language family that consists only of Greek.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or relating to the ancient Greek culture and civilization before the Hellenistic period.
- adj. Of or relating to Hellas (Greece) or the Hellenes (Greeks).
- proper n. The Greek language and its dialects from the earliest records (Linear B inscriptions, about 1600-1300 BCE) to the present Modern Greek.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Hellenes, or inhabitants of Greece; Greek; Grecian.
- n. The dialect, formed with slight variations from the Attic, which prevailed among Greek writers after the time of Alexander.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the Hellenes or Greeks; displaying qualities or tendencies characteristic of the Greek race, historically considered (compare Hellenism, 2); Greek; Grecian.
- In art, applied specifically to Greek work from the close of the primitive epoch to the Roman supremacy in Greece, beginning 146 b. c., or, more narrowly, until the time of Alexander the Great and the sculptor Lysippus, about 330 b. c., the adjective Hellenistic being applied to subsequent work. The Helleuic epoch includes the period of the development and perfection of the Doric and Ionic orders, and that during which the principles of the Corinthian order were worked out. In sculpture, etc., this period comprises the works of the grand style, which succeeded the archaic. See Greek art, under Greek.—Hellenic dialect. See common dialect, under common.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or characteristic of the classical Greek civilization
- n. the Hellenic branch of the Indo-European family of languages
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of Greece or the Greeks or the Greek language
- adj. of or pertaining to or characteristic of the ancient Greek and Roman cultures
From Ancient Greek Ἑλληνικός (Hellenikos, "of or relating to Greece or Greeks"), from Ancient Greek Ἑλλάς (Hellas, "Greece"). (Wiktionary)