American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the ancient Hellenes, their language, or their history; Greek.
- n. The branch of the Indo-European language family that consists only of Greek.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the Hellenes or Greeks; displaying qualities or tendencies characteristic of the Greek race, historically considered (compare Hellenism, 2); Greek; Grecian.
- In art, applied specifically to Greek work from the close of the primitive epoch to the Roman supremacy in Greece, beginning 146 b. c., or, more narrowly, until the time of Alexander the Great and the sculptor Lysippus, about 330 b. c., the adjective Hellenistic being applied to subsequent work. The Helleuic epoch includes the period of the development and perfection of the Doric and Ionic orders, and that during which the principles of the Corinthian order were worked out. In sculpture, etc., this period comprises the works of the grand style, which succeeded the archaic. See Greek art, under Greek.—Hellenic dialect. See common dialect, under common.
- adj. Of or relating to the ancient Greek culture and civilization before the Hellenistic period.
- adj. Of or relating to Hellas (Greece) or the Hellenes (Greeks).
- n. The Greek language and its dialects from the earliest records (Linear B inscriptions, about 1600-1300 BCE) to the present Modern Greek.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Hellenes, or inhabitants of Greece; Greek; Grecian.
- n. The dialect, formed with slight variations from the Attic, which prevailed among Greek writers after the time of Alexander.
- adj. relating to or characteristic of the classical Greek civilization
- n. the Hellenic branch of the Indo-European family of languages
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of Greece or the Greeks or the Greek language
- adj. of or pertaining to or characteristic of the ancient Greek and Roman cultures
- From Ancient Greek Ἑλληνικός (Hellenikos, "of or relating to Greece or Greeks"), from Ancient Greek Ἑλλάς (Hellas, "Greece"). (Wiktionary)
“Greece-based companies that participated in the NYSE event included: ·Coca-Cola Hellenic Bottling Company SA, (NYSE: CCH) ·Hellenic”
“A Greek company, Elmin Hellenic Mining Enterprises SA, is offering the 33 men all-expenses-paid trips to Athens.”
“The Greek alliance was known as the Hellenic League.”
“They include Byron's Childe Harold 2 and "The Destruction of Sennacherib" which experiment in Hellenic scepticism under pressure from Orientalist or Hebraic faith and Hemans's 1819 "Heliodorus in the Temple" and 1820 The Sceptic which recover Hebraic orthodoxy but recast it in terms of Mediterranean republicanism.”
“Pater expressed this favorite opposition of his, in Hellenic terms, in the following way: Scarcely a wild or melancholy note of the medieval church but was anticipated by Greek polytheism!”
“Although the Illinois based entertainment network was formally known as Hellenic Interactive,”
“Constantinople, Thrace, Smyrna, and so on), and cosmopolitanism was a way of life among educated Greeks, many of whom lived in Hellenic centres outside Greek national territory.”
“Yet Alexander also left in his wake new cities that would come to bear his name, an economic and trading system based on silver and gold coinage, Greek as the language commonly in use from Gibraltar to the Punjab, and a culture that is still called Hellenic.”
“He made himself master of what is now called the Hellenic sea, and ruled over the Cyclades, into most of which he sent the first colonies, expelling the Carians and appointing his own sons governors; and thus did his best to put down piracy in those waters, a necessary step to secure revenues for his own use.”
“Cicero called the Hellenic states and colonies a fringe on the skirts of Barbarism, and the description applies also to the”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Hellenic’.
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
Looking for tweets for Hellenic.