American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Attractive as a subject for photography.
- adj. Biology Producing or emitting light; phosphorescent: photogenic bacteria.
- adj. Caused or produced by light: photogenic seizures.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to photogeny.
- In biology, producing light without sensible heat, as an animal or vegetable organism; giving rise to luminosity or phosphorescence; photogenous.
- A reproduction of the configuration of any flat translucent object, as a leaf, or the wing of an insect, or a drawing upon translucent paper or tracing-cloth, made by confining it under glass in contact with a sensitive film, exposing to the action of light, and fixing or developing the image resulting in the film. A variety of photogenic processes arc now in use for copying mechanical drawings. See blue-printing.
- n. In general, light-producing; luminous.
- adj. Generated or caused by light.
- adj. Producing or emitting light, luminescent.
- adj. Looking good when photographed.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to photogeny; producing or generating light.
- adj. looking attractive in photographs
- photo- + -genic (Wiktionary)
“While we are renewing last year's faded overall tans, the well-soaked British Columbia landscape will be progressively repainted in photogenic velvet green; emerald variations brushed onto sky-reaching cedars, ground-dwelling ferns and stubborn mosses by the tempests of winter wind and unrelenting rain.”
“Rick: People are sometimes called photogenic and that doesn't always mean that they're good looking and attractive in the conventional sense.”
“Other than her hairstyle she is the same Marina—loud voice, big eyes my mother calls photogenic, and a pudgy nose that my sister says typecasts her into character roles.”
“Just months before, I had absorbed the news that Sarah Palin also had to face-my baby, the one the nurse had called photogenic as she handed us another ultra-sound photo, the one whose growth I had read about each night as its heart, legs, sex, ears and fingernails developed, had an extra chromosome.”
“That could be called photogenic as far as I'm concerned.”
“What some are calling photogenic proof of the mythical beast.”
“There are Foursquare badges for checking in to a venue with photo booths ( "photogenic"), being a frequent gym user ( "gym rat"), and eating at 20 different pizza places ( "pizzaiolo").”
“SB: Bettie went beyond the usual "photogenic" description.”
“It's entirely possible to have a firearm that's a delight to shoot and still be a "photogenic" piece of equipment.”
“Any person definitely has to be younger, has to be vigorous, has to be a good campaigner, kind of photogenic, telegenic and probably has to be somebody McCain is really comfortable with.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘photogenic’.
Beautiful, attractive, well-formed
Ugly, unattractive, malformed
â€œthat which produces,â€
Gk. genÃ©s 'born, produced';
L. genus, 'kin')
producing, produced, or suited to
Words I Like
Weird words that are weird
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
Words/phrases inextricably tied to the songs they're in, sparking off earworms here there & everywhere (there's one, to start with). Only my own personal examples.
Do guess the more p...
Looking for tweets for photogenic.