from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or affected with schizophrenia.
- adj. Of, relating to, or characterized by the coexistence of disparate or antagonistic elements.
- n. One who is affected with schizophrenia.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to schizophrenia.
- adj. Afflicted with schizophrenia; having difficulty with perception of reality.
- adj. Behaving as if one has more than one personality; wildly changeable.
- n. A person suffering from schizophrenia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. suffering from some form of schizophrenia
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of schizophrenia
- n. someone who is afflicted with schizophrenia
Sorry, no etymologies found.
A so-called split personality is not part of the syndrome, and the word schizophrenic is better avoided in that context.
For Deleuze and Guattari, the schizophrenic is a challenge to the political and linguistic systems simultaneously since he utilizes language in unsocial and antisocial ways.
Because the schizophrenic is not "properly" hooked up to the Oedipal machine of Imaginary desires and
This leads to a certain schizophrenic quality to the writing.
Certainly a schizophrenic is perfectly capable of acting on an intention.
To call republicans schizophrenic is an obvious and redundant statement.
She told police her husband, who she described as schizophrenic and suicidal, had become angry because he believed she had "sexual intercourse with more than 60 people, that he had one too many intestines, and that he had a chip installed in his head," court documents allege.
A patient that have social anxiety and social phobia are ofttimes misdiagnosed and are often identified as schizophrenic and manic-depressive, out of other bad misdiagnoses.
Cummings called the Interior Department "schizophrenic" - on the one hand declaring its intent to protect polar bear habitat in the Arctic, yet at the same time "sacrificing that habitat to feed our unsustainable addiction to oil."
Paranoid-schizophrenic is a diagnosis I wouldn’t want to be saddled with!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.