American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or having a personality disorder marked by extreme shyness, flat affect, reclusiveness, discomfort with others, and an inability to form close relationships.
- adj. Of, relating to, or suggestive of schizophrenia. No longer in scientific use.
- adj. Informal Relating to or characterized by the coexistence of disparate or antagonistic elements: "This schizoid town is part resort, part sardine cannery” ( Jean Anderson).
- n. A schizoid person.
- adj. characterized by social withdrawal and flat affect
- adj. archaic schizophrenic
- n. someone with Schizoid Personality Disorder
- n. archaic someone with schizophrenia
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of schizophrenia
- n. characterized by symptoms similar to but less severe than schizophrenia
- adj. marked by withdrawal and inability to form close relationships
“However, he concluded, enforcement is likely to remain schizoid "until there is a reform of immigration law that is acceptable to the American people.”
“But Phil suggests more psychological factors are at play with those who indulge in schizoid identities:”
“The same impulses that others struggled with occasionally, but that could be controlled or concealed enough for them to function in everyday society, overwhelmed him much of his life, starting with that long-ago spring when he was hospitalized at age twenty-two for what experts today might classify as schizoid affective disorder.”
“" So-called schizoid personalities, who are extremely withdrawn, are commoner in families of schizophrenics, '' says Dr. Jonathan Benjamin of Ben Gurion University in Israel.”
“MARK HILLMAN, PSYCHOTHERAPIST: It ` s called schizoid affective disorder.”
“There was never any clear diagnosis of his problem, although the terms schizoid and schizophrenic kept cropping up.”
“He may also be described as schizoid to the extent that his interpersonal relationships are somewhat remote and detached.”
“The other factor is that he has been getting better and better with each debate, while Hillary has developed a kind of schizoid persona -- which in a way makes her more dangerous, but also hurts her credibility.”
“Al Hunt: McCain started out great then turned "schizoid".”
“For a while he was both Giant-Man and Yellowjacket, playing a kind of schizoid double-hero with each superpower emphasizing a different side of his identity.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘schizoid’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
WARNING: VERY EXPLICIT. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
funny derogatory names, quotes, phrases.
( open list, randomness, ad hom, ad hominem )
buttfucking quitter, dirty sanchez, donkey punch, falcon punch, assbadger, unicorn turd, assclown, fudgenut, quackery, friggin homo, buttmuncher, jackwagon and 279 more...
found while reading
Words to my liking. (The most lovelybeautifulintricatecondecendinggratuitous.)
divided or split; relating to schizophrenia
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
Interesting words from JD Salinger's 1955 story.
Looking for tweets for schizoid.