from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person with an antisocial personality disorder, manifested in aggressive, perverted, criminal, or amoral behavior without empathy or remorse.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person with a personality disorder indicated by a pattern of lying, cunning, manipulating, glibness, exploiting, heedlessness, arrogance, delusions of grandeur, sexual promiscuity, low self-control, disregard for morality, lack of acceptance of responsibility, callousness, and lack of empathy and remorse. Such an individual may be especially prone to violent and criminal offenses.
- n. A person diagnosed with antisocial or dissocial personality disorder.
- n. A person who has no moral conscience.
- n. A person who perpetrates especially gruesome or bizarre violent acts.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A morally irresponsible person.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone with a sociopathic personality; a person with an antisocial personality disorder (`psychopath' was once widely used but has now been superseded by `sociopath')
Back-formation from psychopathic.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From German psychopatisch, from Ancient Greek ψυχή (psyche, "soul") + πάθος (pathos, "suffering"). (Wiktionary)