from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A borough of central England east-northeast of Birmingham. Built on the site of a Roman settlement, it is an important industrial center in a mining and sheep-raising district. Population: 330,000.
- n. Any of a breed of large, white-faced sheep having long coarse wool, developed in Leicestershire, a county of central England.
- n. A hard cheese similar to Cheddar and usually orange.
- Leicester, First Earl of See Robert Dudley.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A city in Leicestershire, England
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The name of a shire in England: applied distinctively to a breed of sheep having a long, tapering head, deep chest, round body, thin skin, and fine white wool; and
- n. to a breed of cattle, practically the same as the longhorn. This breed, as also the Leicester sheep, was brought into prominence by Robert Bakewell, a noted breeder of the eighteenth century.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an industrial city in Leicestershire in central England; built on the site of a Roman settlement
- n. a largely agricultural county in central England
Sorry, no etymologies found.
MAULANA SHAHID RAZA, IMAM, LEICESTER CENTER MOSQUE: I feel sad because it will damage to some extent that image of Leicester where Muslims have always been living as a peaceful community.
LEICESTER - Buncombe County sheriff's deputies are investigating a reported stabbing on Wintersweet Drive in Leicester.
LEICESTER - The N.C. Highway Patrol investigated a traffic accident this morning on New Leicester Highway near Leicester, but the wreck has since been cleared.
I am a nurse who applied this year to leicester, Leicester used to be all about healthcare professionals but as they have widened their entry criteria to science grads etc this is now not the case, everyone is given fair digs if they have some relevant post grad experience.
LEICESTER, England (AFP) - Leicester clinched a famous 22-17 win over world champions South Africa at Welford Road on Friday as the mighty Springboks suffered a dismal start to their northern hemisphere tour.
LEICESTER - When Shannon Fox considered decorating his Leicester home with Christmas lights, the idea of an ordinary arrangement didn't excite him.
LEICESTER - Several people were reportedly injured after a head-on collision between two vehicles on Bear Creek Road near the intersection of Turkey Creek Road in Leicester.
LEICESTER - Buncombe County Sheriff's deputies charged a Leicester man Monday with possessing material portraying a minor engaging in sex acts.
Living as a White person in Leicester is pretty relaxed and there is plenty of cultural mixing, unlike the west midlands where I lived before.
Burbidge said Yousef's mother and aunt, who lived in Leicester, had been concerned about her mental health, describing her as "acting strangely and talking to herself".
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.