from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of numerous synthetic polymers produced chiefly by reaction of dibasic acids with dihydric alcohols and used primarily as light, strong, weather-resistant resins in boat hulls, textile fibers, adhesives, and molded parts.
- n. A wrinkle-resistant fabric of fibers made from any of these resins.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any polymer whose monomers are linked together by ester bonds
- n. A material or fabric made from polyester polymer
- adj. Of, or consisting of polyesters
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous synthetic resins; they are light and strong and weather resistant
- n. a complex ester used for making fibers or resins or plastics or as a plasticizer
- n. any of a large class of synthetic fabrics
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The uncomfortable stab of cold plastic wrapped in polyester as I hit the milk jug before the inevitable flip.
Buy only hideous fabric in polyester or bad blends.
NAU markets the Blender Glove as a more sustainable option since it uses recycled polyester fabric instead of virgin polyester (petroleum).
Today's polyester is not twenty-five years 'ago polyester.
It’s Robert Altman in polyester and gold chains, only with a groan-inducing script and acting that ranges from decent to abysmal.
Most polyester is from plastics and, as a petroleum product, should be shunned except that plastics are now recyclable … and hmm – shouldn’t we be for recycling?
The Target suit isn't worth more than $89, both testers agreed, calling the polyester fabric a major negative.
JP: I did a zero waste skirt and scarf using up-cycled and recycled polyester, which is pretty amazing and fun and modern.
The manufacture of polyester, which is made from petroleum and other synthetic fabrics, is an energy-intensive process and releases harmful emissions.
The sleeping bag I'll use camping this weekend is made from high-tech polyester, which is made from petroleum -- ditto the nylon tent and backpack and trail shoes and bottle containing the eco-friendly soap I use in the woods.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.