from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A river of northwest Brazil rising on the Bolivian border and flowing about 3,315 km (2,060 mi) generally northeast to the Amazon River near Manaus. It is the most important tributary of the Amazon.
- n. A fortified dessert wine, especially from the island of Madeira.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Island in the Atlantic Ocean and an autonomous region of Portugal.
- n. A type of fortified wine produced on that island.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A rich wine made on the Island of Madeira.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fine wine of the sherry class made in the island of Madeira. It acquires by age peculiar excellence of flavor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Brazilian river; tributary of the Amazon River
- n. an amber dessert wine from the Madeira Islands
- n. an island in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Africa; the largest of the Madeira Islands
From Portuguese madeira ("wood"), from Latin materia, from Proto-Indo-European *méh₂tēr (“mother”). (Wiktionary)