from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A brandy distilled from white wine and produced in the vicinity of Cognac.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a brandy distilled from white wine in the region around Cognac in France
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of French brandy, so called from the town of Cognac.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Properly, a French brandy of superior quality distilled from wines produced in the neighborhood of Cognac in the department of Charente, France; more loosely, any of the brandies of that department.
- n. In Europe, any brandy of good quality (this name having superseded the original terms eau-de-vie, branntwein, etc.); in the United States, French brandy in general. See champagne.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. high quality grape brandy distilled in the Cognac district of France
Boucherie cooks up tripe stew ($6) and sauteed kidneys in cognac cream ($8.50), blood sausage ($13) and grilled mixed skewers that included, if my memory serves me right, lamb hearts, kidneys, and testicles ($8).
Port wine, a Galician tostado, a sweet Monastrell, a fortified Tannat, a German Riesling Kabinett or Spatslese, or most beautifully an aged rum or cognac (cognac is wine at is origin).
Both were made of the flames of the French spirit called cognac, or brandy.
It was a cupboard, plentifully filled with bottles of various descriptions, from among which, by her patient's direction, she selected one labelled cognac, and gave him some in water.
The concept car - in a rich reddish brown dubbed "cognac" - has cream leather seats perforated into a pattern that's meant to resemble champagne bubbles.
Sitting at his booth at a small desk displaying coffee, pasta, snacks and – pride of place – bottles of Barbancourt rum, described as the "cognac of rums", Avril said the conference was much better than he had expected.
He also recently established his own liquor brand, Conjure cognac, which is currently available in the Atlanta and Miami markets.
The cognac is a testimony to Jean Martell whose founding principles are based on the pursuit of perfection.
Hennessy is a brand of cognac, which is a French variety of brandy.
Courvoisier: One of the best-known types of cognac, which is a brandy produced near the town of Cognac in France (like champagne, there are strict regulations as to where and how cognac can be made).
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.