from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A Hebrew prophet of the sixth century B.C.
- n. See Table at Bible.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A book of the Old Testament of the Bible, and of the Tanakh.
- proper n. A minor prophet.
- proper n. A male given name of biblical origin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an Old Testament book telling Obadiah's prophecies; the shortest book in the Christian Bible
- n. a Hebrew minor prophet
Hebrew 'ōbadyāh, servant of Yahweh : 'ebed, 'ōbad, servant; see ʿbd in Semitic roots + yāh, Yahweh; see hwy in Semitic roots.
After Obadiah.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Hebrew עובדיה "servant of Yahweh"; comparable to Arabic عبد الله (ʕabd-állah) "servant of Allah". (Wiktionary)