American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Hinduism The power of a god or demon to transform a concept into an element of the sensible world.
- n. Hinduism The transitory, manifold appearance of the sensible world, which obscures the undifferentiated spiritual reality from which it originates; the illusory appearance of the sensible world.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Hindu mythology: Illusion or deceptive appearance.
- n. [capitalized] Such appearance personified as a female who acts a part in the production of the universe, and is considered to have only an illusory existence.
- Of or pertaining to the Mayas, an aboriginal tribe of Yucatan, distinguished for their civilization and as the possessors of an alphabet and a literature when America was discovered: as, the Maya alphabet; the Maya records.
- n. a member of an American Indian people of Yucatan and Belize and Guatemala who had a culture (which reached its peak between AD 300 and 900) characterized by outstanding architecture and pottery and astronomy
- n. a family of American Indian languages spoken by Maya
- Sanskrit māyā. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“April 30th, 2008 3: 33 pm ET maya is a great woman, who is very intelligient. the fact that she supports hillary is courageous. maya's opinion is very important. this woman is an icon!”
“The word maya repeated in verses 14 to 18 is explained by Nilakantha as having the sense of mattah.”
“: -) Maya padruga or padruga maya is correct when referring to "my female friend" in third person, but when you address one, regardless of that actual person's gender, oddly enough it remains masculine "moi droog" or drug moi.”
“The characters, for instance, in The Financial Expert (1952) ” small-time con men, greedy landlords, ingrate children, embittered parents, unhappy wives, exploited villagers ” are like people locked in a trance, in what the Hindus call maya: the immense illusion of existence.”
“He would also showed us relevant videos and tell us how to break them down in maya.”
“Believing that is roughly what the orient has been calling maya for the last several millennia.”
“O greatly fortunate Vidura, this external energy is known as maya or illusion, and through her agency only is the entire material manifestation made possible.”
“The material nature, known as maya, is both the material and efficient cause of the cosmos, but in the background the Lord is the consciousness for all activities.”
“In the orient, this is known as "maya" and is considered to be the essence of delusion.”
“Some truths do not come cheap since they necessitate a quantum jump away from consensus reality (the orient's "maya").”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘maya’.
A good way to have an opponent make a bad challenge.
These chromonyms are defined as colors in at least one dictionary (mostly MW3). (Actually there's one fake, for reasons I'll explain someday.) They are all one-word nouns such as "kelly", which can...
My pets' names and nicknames past and present
Looking for tweets for maya.