from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Greek Mythology A goddess, the eldest of the Pleiades.
- n. The brightest star in the Pleiades.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Alternative form of Maja. A genus of sea spiders.
- proper n. Daughter of Atlas and mother of Hermes.
- proper n. The goddess of growth after whom the month May ( Latin maius ) was named.
- proper n. A female given name of recent usage.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of spider crabs, including the common European species (Maia squinado).
- n. A beautiful American bombycid moth (Eucronia maia).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The typical genus of Maiidœ, founded by Lamarck in 1801.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. type genus of the Majidae; nearly cosmopolitan in distribution
Latin Māia, from Greek Maia, from maia, good mother, nurse; see mā-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)