from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that activates, especially a device responsible for actuating a mechanical device, such as one connected to a computer by a sensor link.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something that actuates something else, especially a mechanism that causes a device to be switched on or off
- n. The mechanism that moves the head assembly on a disk drive
- n. A relay that controls the flow of electricity
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who actuates, or puts into action.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which actuates or puts in action.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mechanism that puts something into automatic action
Sorry, no etymologies found.