- adv. Used other than as an idiom: see after, all.
- adv. idiomatic Anyway, in any case; indicates a statement is true regardless of other considerations; used to reinforce or explain a point.
- adv. idiomatic In the end, however; used in referring to something that was believed to be the case, but is not; or to an outcome that is not what was expected or predicted.
GNU Webster's 1913
- prep. when everything has been considered; upon the whole.
- n. after considering everything to the contrary; nevertheless.
- adv. emphasizes something to be considered
- adv. in spite of expectations
“The gunslinger-mercenary aspect of my personality pricked up at the thought of finally getting into a fight after all that battle training in grad school.”
“He was beginning to think he might survive Caerfalas after all when Moll told him, rather firmly, that washing the dinner dishes would be his job.”
“Catherine Clark told me yesterday that when she tried to get my mother up the other day, after all night and a good part of the morning in bed, my mother asked her why it was necessary.”
“I have found that after all is said and done, having my say and doing it for free is my therapy for poststardom soul retrieval.”
“‘Damned unjust to let the weasel go after all the misery he caused, but no use making a stink, the war’s over.”
“In fact, after all these years I can honestly say that I still want to be like Andie Walsh when I grow up.”
“The Stars and Stripes were raised on the cupola of Federal Hall, and thirteen guns boomed from the battery as Washington reentered the Senate chamber, took his seat on the dais, and, after all had resumed their places, rose to read his inaugural address.”
“And, after all her time hanging out with Jay and the other guys in Sin-Phony, she had plenty of connections.”
“Simberloff after all is the fallen archangel who had stood at the right hand of Ed Wilson while Wilson and MacArthur were creating this particular universe.”
““And she was wise to come home to Enniscorthy after all the years, to be among her own in the town,” Noeleen continued.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘after all’.
Looking for tweets for after all.