American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Another side of oneself; a second self.
- n. An intimate friend or a constant companion.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Second self; another self; counterpart; double. Sometimes applied as a title to a person who has full powers to act for another, as in the case of a Spanish viceroy when exercising regal power.
- n. a very close and trusted friend who seems almost a part of yourself
- From Latin "other self", which is a translation of Zeno's Citium "allos ego" (Wiktionary)
- Latin : alter, other + ego, I, self. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“His alter ego was Delaroche, to whom he gave his daughter in marriage.”
“Evan Huter and his alter ego Ed McBain combined their talents to create Candyland, a novel in two parts, available from Pocket Books.”
“I sense that perhaps Wooden Boulder has become an alter ego for Nash: its unfolding story part of his life, the restless thing itself an embodiment of his soul.”
“My alter ego Demoness Mentia is doing that, and keeping an eye on my seven-year-old son, Ted.”
“Even back when I was nominally happy, my friend Bryce actually went so far as to create a superhero alter ego for me: The Amazing Sublimated Man.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘alter ego’.
Words are all I have to take your heart away
Nouns to be used as descriptions while writing stories
Words as I learn them.
Also check out Reese Tee's Through Thick & Thin for more friend words.
Looking for tweets for alter ego.