American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Relieving or preventing spasms, especially of smooth muscle.
- n. An antispasmodic agent. Also called spasmolytic.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In medicine, curative of spasm; checking or curing convulsions.
- n. In medicine, a remedy for spasm or convulsions, as ether, chloroform, the bromides, etc.
- adj. medicine Referring to something that suppresses spasms, generally a drug.
- n. pharmacology A drug that suppresses spasms.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Med.) Good against spasms.
- n. a drug used to relieve or prevent spasms (especially of the smooth muscles)
“Parsley is a natural antispasmodic: in other words, it’s great for the digestion.”
“This nervine herb is also "antispasmodic" which makes it great for people with constant nervous twitching.”
“Phenazopyridine is an AZO dye that has been used as a genitourinary analgesic since the 1920's. 1 It is currently available as a single agent and in combination products with antiinfective agents such as sufisoxazole and sulfamethoxazole and with antispasmodic agents.”
“She thinks that his public intoxication was mostly feigned, part of a "masquerade" to hide his tuberculosis; that he used drugs and especially alcohol "medicinally," as a "necessary anesthetic" and antispasmodic "to soothe his coughing fits.”
“Chlorpromazine (Thorazine and generic), a major tranquilizer, is the old standby, closely followed by the minor tranquilizer diazepam (Valium and generic), the antispasmodic metochlopramide (Reglan and generic), and the muscle relaxant baclofen (Lioresal and generic).”
“Essences can be divided according to these activities: antispasmodic or spasmolytic, stimulatory, hormonal and anti-fermentative.”
“Some have an analgesic and antispasmodic effect, while most are antibacterial.”
“It is also antiseptic, antispasmodic, soporific and a few seeds taken with water can cure hiccups.”
“An antispasmodic, it has been used to relieve menstrual cramps and muscle pain due to stress.”
“Researchers have discovered that dong quai contains antispasmodic compounds that can relax smooth muscle tissue.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘antispasmodic’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Looking for tweets for antispasmodic.