from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Contracting the tissues or blood vessels; astringent.
- adj. Tending to check bleeding by contracting the tissues or blood vessels; hemostatic.
- n. A styptic drug or substance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Bringing about contraction of tissues, especially to stop bleeding
- n. A substance used for styptic results.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Producing contraction; stopping bleeding; having the quality of restraining hemorrhage when applied to the bleeding part; astringent.
- n. A styptic medicine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Astringent; oonstrictive; binding.
- Having the quality of checking hemorrhage or bleeding; stanching.
- n. An astringent; something causing constriction or constraint.
- n. A substance employed to check a flow of blood by application to the bleeding orifice or surface.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a drug that causes contraction of body tissues and canals
- adj. tending to check bleeding by contracting the tissues or blood vessels
Makes sense, I suppose, since it's also used in styptic pencils. bullfroghrr
Smaller than this Common Burnet is the Salad Burnet, _Poterium sanguisorba, quod sanguineos fluxus sistat_, a useful  styptic, which is also cordial, and promotes perspiration.
The Low Latin equivalent of the Arabic _tubb [= a] q_ "styptic," is _bitumen_, whence
I had prepped precocious Cindy Hammer for a feature on Camp Pa-He-Tsi in Winnisquam, Michigan, using every tool in my portable makeup kit; styptic pencil, upper armpit blusher, highlighter.
I never met a writer who didn't bleed at the slightest unfavorable comment, and no number of favorable or even ecstatic remarks will serve as a styptic pencil.
But I wonder whether you could affix a styptic pencil to the contraption, too.
They want shaved faces, preferably with little pieces of toilet paper stuck to them or the faint aroma of a styptic pencil.
Makes sense, I suppose, since it's also used in styptic pencils.
I will get a styptic pencil, or a bandage, or some concrete mortar, and you will be good as new in just a minute.
I found him in the lavatory, straight razor in hand, his half-shaven chin dotted in styptic, the water of his bowl a not unpleasant shade of pink.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.