from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Capable of relieving or suppressing coughing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A cough suppressant or a drug that inhibits coughing.
- adj. Having cough suppressant abilities.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. having ability to to suppress or relieve coughing; -- of chemical substances.
- n. a medicament used to suppress or relieve coughing; an antitussive substance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Preventing or relieving cough.
- n. Any agent which possesses this property.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any medicine used to suppress or relieve coughing
anti- + Latin tussis, cough; see tussis + -ive.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
anti- (adjective prefix) + Latin tussis (cough) + -ive (adjective suffix) (Wiktionary)