from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having no light.
- adj. Of or relating to the region of a body of water that is not reached by sunlight and in which photosynthesis is unable to occur.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. having no light, especially no sunlight
- adj. describing that part of the deep oceans and lakes where photosynthesis is not possible
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Without light.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In phytogeography, without light: applied to the deep level in a body of water in which only non-assimilating organisms can exist.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. lacking light; especially not reached by sunlight
a- + photic (Wiktionary)