from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An abnormal accumulation of serous fluid in the abdominal cavity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An accumulation of fluid in the peritoneal cavity, frequently symptomatic of liver disease.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A collection of serous fluid in the cavity of the abdomen; dropsy of the peritoneum.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, a collection of serous fluid in the peritoneal cavity; dropsy of the belly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. accumulation of serous fluid in peritoneal cavity
Middle English aschites, from Late Latin ascītēs, from Greek askītēs, from askos, belly, wineskin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin ascites, borrowed from Ancient Greek ἀσκίτης, from ἀσκός ("wineskin"). (Wiktionary)