American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Informal One's spouse.
- n. idiomatic (US, Canada) A person's spouse or lover, most commonly a man's wife. Generally a compliment or sign of respect.
- n. idiomatic, archaic A person's close friend or companion
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. an expression used to designate one's wife.
- n. See under Better.
- n. a person's partner in marriage
- From my better half, the larger part of me, that is, a close friend. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“My better half never cared about innocence until she got half-souled.”
“One still hears people talk as if a clerk or a greengrocer's assistant, married in a suburban chapel and going to Cliftonville for his honeymoon, undertook thereby to shelter his better half from heaven knows what of vague and mysterious peril.”
“Next comes Susan Drew, my better half and my editor.”
“I inclose you, my dear Arthur, half a five-pound note for your "auld brigg," which please to acknowledge, and when you have duly done so, I will inclose its better half for the "new brigg.”
“How immensely impertinent is the prejudice that forbids so natural a use of money! why should the better half of a man's actions be always under the dominion of some prescriptive slavery; 'Tis hideous to think of.”
“Remember me affectionately to all the young ladies of my acquaintance, particularly the Miss Burwells, and Miss Potters, and tell them that though that heavy earthly part of me, my body, be absent, the better half of me, my soul, is ever with them; and that my best wishes shall ever attend them.”
“No, just put your uncrazy better half in charge," Jenny said.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘better half’.
All sorts of names or terms for romantic partners: vague, clinical, physical, sleazy, cheesy, co-dependent, demeaning, sarcastic, or the dutifully committed. This is to provide a wide-range of le...
Love and marriage, love and marriage, go together like a horse and carriage . . .
Looking for tweets for better half.