from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To bring from concealment; disclose.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. (New Zealand) a whitewash victory for any New Zealand national sporting team (also known as a blackout)
- n. (cricket) a whitewash victory for the West Indies cricket team
- n. A lotion made by mixing calomel and limewater.
- n. public campaigns and advertising funded by the coal industry to draw attention away from environmentally unsustainable practices or to justify exclusion from carbon taxes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A lotion made by mixing calomel and lime water.
- n. A wash that blackens, as opposed to
whitewash; hence, figuratively, calumny.
- v. same as defame.
- v. to color with blackwash.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A lotion composed of calomel and lime-water.
- n. Any wash that blackens.
- n. In molding, a clay wash to which powdered charcoal has been added. See blacking, 3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. color with blackwash
- v. bring (information) out of concealment
- n. an attack intended to ruin someone's reputation
- n. a mixture of calomel and limewater that is used on syphilitic sores
- n. a wash that colors a surface black
I haven't forgotten the 'blackwash', the 'summer of 4 captains' and the excruciating Ashes defeats and dead rubber victories........now it's time for some payback.
Like it or not the Tories are going to be painted with the blackest of blackwash as the nasty uncaring party who hit out at their class enemies and the disadvantaged. closing hospitals, libraries, post offices, nursery places, schools, police stations all to come.
Thanks to Imnakoya who provided the link to the 'Heart of Africa' website where all the bright ideas to whitewash or will it be a blackwash Nigeria's image are set out.
Elements of Kina myth could be hammered into conformity with the tenets of the only true religion, given a quick coat of blackwash, and I would have completed a course of religious acrobatics elegant enough to spark the pride of my childhood teachers.
The Springboks 'dominant lineout and New Zealand's inability to handle the high ball were features of last season's' 'blackwash' 'but there is confidence those areas have been addressed well.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.