from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An explosive device designed to be triggered when an unsuspecting victim touches or disturbs a seemingly harmless object.
- n. A situation that catches one off guard; a pitfall.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An antipersonnel device deliberately hidden or disguised as a harmless object
- n. An unforeseen source of danger; a pitfall
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any concealed device causing surprise or injury when a usually harmless object is touched; -- in military operations, typically containing an explosive charge.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an explosive mine hidden underground; explodes when stepped on or driven over
- n. an unforeseen or unexpected or surprising difficulty
From booby ("dunce, idiot"). (Wiktionary)